Kidnappers strike again in Ondo, abduct 5 persons, demand huge ransom

Report says Five persons have been kidnapped in Ondo State in the last 24hours by unknown gunmen.

The gunmen suspected to be kidnappers abducted a farmer, along with two others at Agbaje community in the Ala-Elefosan axis of Idanre Local Council Area of Ondo State.

The victims, comprising two women and one male, were seized while working on their farm settlement in the agrarian community.

According to a family source close to one of the victims, who spoke on condition of anonymity, the abductors have established contact with the families, demanding a ransom of N5 million for the release of each of the three captives.

He said, “When we heard that my brother’s wife was kidnapped, we were devastated. My sister-in-law, Funke Falolu, and the two others had gone to the farm just as they do every day. We never imagined they would not return home.

“The kidnappers called and told us to bring N5 million before they will be released. Where do we get such money?

“These criminals operate freely in the forests, and we are left to our fate. Now our people are being taken, and we are expected to pay millions we do not have. We are praying that it will be released soon.

“The government must do something urgently because farmers cannot farm. We are calling on the state government and security agencies to help us before it is too late.”

When contacted, the police public relations officer for the Ondo State Command, Abayomi Jimoh, assured that the incident will be investigated.

TWO KIDNAPPED IN AKOKO

Gunmen suspected to be bandits have reportedly kidnapped two persons at Ifira axis in Akoko South-East Local Government Area of Ondo State.

It was gathered that the gunmen ambushed the victims on their way to the farm and whisked them into the forest.

A family member of the victims disclosed on Crest FM, Akure, during a phone-in programme on Tuesday, that the incident has been reported to both the police and Amotekun Corps.

The family who stated that the two were kidnapped last week, said the abductors were demanding N10 million ransom for their freedom.

“We’ve reported the incident to the police and Amotekun Corps in our area. We’re begging the security agencies and government to help us rescue our brothers unhurt,” he pleaded.

Reacting to the incident in a statement in Akure on Tuesday, the spokesperson for the Ondo State Police Command, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, said: “The Ondo State Police Command wishes to clarify reports circulating regarding the alleged kidnapping of farmers in the Oke-Ifira/Idogun forest axis of Akoko.

“The Command confirms that a report of missing persons was received at the Isua Akoko Divisional Headquarters, prompting the immediate deployment of a joint security team comprising personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, the Nigerian Army, Amotekun Corps, local hunters, Agbekoya operatives and community volunteers to the affected area.

“Search and rescue operations are currently ongoing, with all available operational and intelligence resources being deployed to locate the victims and bring the perpetrators to justice.

“The Command wishes to categorically state that it is not aware of any ransom demand in connection with this incident.

“The Command further appeals to anyone with credible and actionable information that could assist the ongoing search and rescue efforts to promptly share such information with the Police. All information received will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.

“The Commissioner of Police, Ondo State Command, CP Felix N. Ohagwu, has reaffirmed the Command’s commitment to ensuring the safe rescue of the victims and the arrest of those responsible. He urges residents to remain calm, vigilant and continue to support the Police by providing timely and credible information as efforts to resolve the incident continue.”

Sunshine Truth

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *